9/12/07



This Week’s Theme: Write a story, poem, or essay from the point of view of an inanimate object.


I roll out the door, down the stairs. I bounce, HIGH, I bounce, LOW. The air sings around me, the grass flows like liquid green silk as I finally, breathlessly roll to a stop.

I rest. Sigh. Stare up at blue heavens and imagine the freedom of clouds. I'm only free for a few moments, whenever some hand tosses me from one point in the universe to another.

I'd rather roll, jump, hop, or dance. But I lay. Still. Waiting. Someone comes out the door and I try to get their attention.

Here I am, I whisper. Too soft. They don’t hear me.

Play with me, I say, louder this time. One of them, a little boy looks in my direction, scratches his head, then turns away.

Get over here and play with me, I shout. I'm angry now, feeling neglected and sorry for myself.

All of a sudden I see The Dreaded Creature lumbering toward me. I realize, a moment too late, that I should have kept my round rubber mouth shut. I should have rested beneath the coppery sun, delighted in the fragrant lilac breeze.

But now the monster is coming.

The big slobbery mouth full of teeth draws nearer. Massive jaws open and, in a horrid life-altering moment, they clamp down on me, block out the sun and the sky.

I am jogging over to the shade beneath an oak tree now. Dropped to the ground, sodden. Picked up again, chewed on, dropped. Picked up, dropped, a dizzying loop of up and down and up again.

That Awful Dog has me in its clutches. Again. I should have been quiet. I was free, on the grass. I was part of a poetic moment of tranquil beauty.

But now I am dog-breath and slobber and riddled with tooth marks.

And this beast thinks I am its new best friend.



About Fiction Friday
Technorati Tag
Another Technorati Tag

THE CARDINAL RULES TO FICTION FRIDAY:
1. Spend at least 5 minutes composing something original based on the theme or challenge.
2. But, remember, no editing. This is to inspire creativity not stifle it.
3. On Friday, simply post what you wrote to your own blog.
4. Then come back to Write Stuff and leave the link in the comment section of that week’s Fiction Friday post.

NOTE: If you are participating in Fiction Friday, post a comment and I'll give you a link. Enjoy!
1. Bloggin' Outloud
2. Broad thoughts from home
3. Drawing on words
4. Ric
5. Paul Anderson
6. Webster
You're next
7. Paisley
8. Tumblewords

10 comments:

Jo said...

A very enjoyable, well-written read.

Merrie Destefano said...

Jo,
Thanks for stopping by! Have a Fiction Friday!
Merrie

Jack Greening said...

Good story and I like the picture.

Merrie Destefano said...

Webster,
Thanks for the visit! And that teapot story was great-
Merrie

Anonymous said...

Merrie,
You are an artist. This is a pretty intense piece, especially the last line.

Merrie Destefano said...

Tammi,
That's a wonderful compliment, especially since you are such a great writer. Thank you for stopping by and blessings on your work with autism.
:)
Merrie

Merrie Destefano said...

Paul,
Funny! You must have one of those slobbery dog creatures!

Hey, best of luck on your NaNo Writing month--I hope you get some good stuff written. I also hope your pen doesn't find out about it . . .

Great Fiction Friday post!
:)
Merrie

paisley said...

awwww... my doggies would love to play with you... unfortunately they will run away with you and never bring you back!!!!!!

Tumblewords: said...

Dog breath, slobbers...who'd wanna be a ball? The picture made a great duo. Off to read more of your work.

Merrie Destefano said...

Paisley and Tumblewords,
Thanks for stopping by! We definitely have some talented writers in this group. Both of you have some great stuff on your sites!

Happy fiction writing!
:)
Merrie