10/10/07

Fiction Friday: October 12



This Week’s Theme: Use this quote as the spark, "I'm not one for sentimental endings. Not this time."


"I'm not one for sentimental endings. Not this time."

That’s what he said. When he slammed the car door. When he walked away into blue velvet. Those were his words, each one like the drumbeat to a funeral dirge, like the handful of stones I’m forced to carry in my heart.

Sometimes I repeat them to myself, roll the syllables over my tongue. When the midnight pours in my window, cold and dark. When my bed feels as empty as my soul. Sometimes I imagine another ending and I write it down.

“I’m not one for sentimental endings. But this is a beginning—”

He would lean toward me, over cracked vinyl seats, cup my face in his hands and look into my eyes. The single tear sliding down my cheek would take his breath away for a moment, then he would kiss it away . . .

“I’m not one for sentimental endings. But this is breaking my heart, I just can’t—”

He would weep; he would beg me to stay. He would promise to change, to be different, to do anything I ask. One hand would slide over mine and he would pull me back into his arms. My face would be wet from his tears . . .

“I’m not one for sentimental endings. Not this time.”

I would turn away from him, the words still warm in my mouth. I would open the car door, swing my legs out onto pavement, stand up and feel an intoxicating sense of freedom. I am leaving him and he is devastated . . .

Of all my imagined endings, this last one is my favorite, the one I rehearse when the ache drives me to my knees, the one that gets me through the day when I feel like a shadow walking through bright crowds.

About Fiction Friday
Technorati Tag
Another Technorati Tag

THE CARDINAL RULES TO FICTION FRIDAY:
1. Spend at least 5 minutes composing something original based on the theme or challenge.
2. But, remember, no editing. This is to inspire creativity not stifle it.
3. On Friday, simply post what you wrote to your own blog.
4. Then come back to Write Stuff and leave the link in the comment section of that week’s Fiction Friday post.



11 comments:

paisley said...

this was awesome... i loved it,,, and i am thrilled to have you join us today for friday fiction... isn't this fun?????

Merrie Destefano said...

Paisley,
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliment! Yes, I love Fiction Friday. My only problem is that I've developed serious carpal tunnel and I can no longer post the links to everyone's sites. So I hope everyone will understand.

Blessings on your fiction writing!
:)

Jack Greening said...

Wow! I enjoyed this because it's so true. We always know what we should have done after the fact.

gautami tripathy said...

Eternal case of what if And why did I do that!

It makes sense to me!

Welcome to FF!

Pen said...

I loved this. Excellently written.

Merrie Destefano said...

Alchemist,
Thanks for dropping by--my goodness, these Friday Fiction posts are all so heart-breaking! Yours was quite lovely and poetic. Great job!
:)

Merrie Destefano said...

Gautami,
Thanks for visiting! I just stopped by your site and was enchanted by your post--it is so encouraging to see someone who truly loves books as much as you do.

Blessings always on your Fiction Fridays!
:)
Merrie

Jo said...

Very well done!

Anonymous said...

Oooh nice twist at the end.

PJD said...

I love the sour grapes version being both her coping mechanism and her favorite version. This was nicely written. I like the language and flow.

Merrie Destefano said...

Jo, Square 1, and PJD,
Great comments and I'm glad you dropped by.

PJD,
VERY interesting analysis of the short story! My goodness, but you sure have a way of reading between the lines and getting to the heart of story. Maybe you should be my therapist!

Blessings to all and I hope you all participate in this weeks Fiction Friday!